Plastibell circumcision is the common method used for infants, toddlers and older children.
It involves using the Plastibell ring which is a plastic ring inserted between the foreskin and the head of the penis. The ring will be fixed by a surgical string which tightens the skin over the ring.
The effect of the string pressure will cut the blood supply to the distal end of the foreskin and, as a result, the excessive foreskin will darken around the ring until it becomes black. It will die and fall off naturally together with the ring and the string after 7-14 days depending on the age of the child and the strength of the skin. The tip may be sore, and the penis itself may look red and swollen. You may see a yellow crust on the tip as well. This is normal and should go away on its own in a few days.
This procedure is safe, easy, convenient and minimum pain occurs. It involves short period of operating time and will result in a very regular beautiful appearance. It does not require any sutures and it does not cause bleeding.
Young babies tend to complete the process quicker, while older children tend to take the longest. Once the ring detaches, the swelling and discomfort starts subsiding.
- Assessment of the child will be performed by the doctor before the procedure, together with the consultation, the full explanation and the aftercare instructions.
- Complete sterile atmosphere with antiseptic solution is used to clean the penis.
- Local anaesthetic injection is given at the base of the penis.
- 24/7 emergency contact will be provided directly to the operating doctor.
- Aftercare package is provided which includes cream, painkillers and written instructions.
- Free follow up appointment arranged if it is necessary.